home

 

Our History

In 1932, the 7th Day of September, our first six Sisters arrived in this country from Germany. Coming here they responded to the call of the then Vicar Apostolic of Kimberley , Bishop HJ Meysing OMI who later became the first Archbishop of Bloemfontein.

Soon they were joined by more Sisters from overseas who courageously and enthusiastically tried to live their Franciscan Charism on African soil.

Since then the Congregation of the Franciscan Sisters of Siessen has been witnessing the service of God and His people here in Southern Africa.

Great was the joy when the first African sisters were received in 1952. Since then our Community has enjoyed the steady flow of young African ladies and we are glad to say that most of our sisters in this Province today come from different nationalities mainly from South Africa and Lesotho.

Worldwide our Congregation is now found in Germany, our Motherhouse established in Siessen in 1854, South Africa (1932) and Brazil (1936), Italy(1987) and Sweeden (2010).